Port Sanitary Authorities in Ireland were enabled to be established by order of the Local Government Board under the provisions of the Public Health (Ireland) Act 1896. Cork Port Sanitary Authority was established in 1904. In 1904 the board was chaired by the Lord Mayor Sir Edward Fitzgerald and comprised 11 city councillors/aldermen, 2 from Cork Rural District, 2 from Queenstown, 2 from Midleton Rural District, and 1 from Kinsale Rural District. At the first meeting, it was agreed to appoint 2 Port Medical Officers of Health, 1 residing in Cork and the other in Queenstown. It was responsible for the Intercepting Hospital. In 1945 the Chairperson was John Murphy and the board consisted of 11 city aldermen/councillors, 5 Board of Health reps., 2 from Cobh UDC and 1 from Passage West UDC. Dissolved 1 April 1948 by Ministerial order under the Health Act 1947, and functions and duties transferred to the health authority, Cork Corporation.
Details of records of the Cork Port Sanitary Authority
Cork Port Sanitary Authority Minute Books 5 Jan 1904 - 22 Mar 1948