Diarmaid L.Fawsitt Descriptive List /Archive Launched
On 16 November 2022 the Cork City and County Archives (CCCA) and Cork City Council hosted a reception at the Council Chamber, City Hall, for the launch of the descriptive list book of the personal archive of Diarmaid L. Fawsitt, revolutionary, civil servant and judge. The D.,Fawsitt archive was kindly donated by the Fawsitt family to CCCA in 2019, making it a permanent part of our public records. The descriptive list, covering over 2000 documents, was painstakingly prepared by CCCA archivists over a 2 year period. Julitta Clancy, grandaughter of D.Fawsitt, assisted in the editing of the List, and had also made an overall arrangement of the collection prior to its accession to CCCA, which proved invaluable.
The printing of the List was funded by the Cork City Council 1920-1923 Commemorations and the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media
Speakers at the launch included deputy Lord Mayor Cllr. Shane O'Callaghan, Dr. Gabriel Doherty of U.C.C. School of History, Julitta Clancy, and Brian McGee, Senior Archivist. We were delighted to welcome several direct descendants of Diarmaid Fawsitt to the launch. The evening was completed by Kate O'Shea, of Cork School of Music, who played the piece 'Lark in the Clear Air' on violin. This piece was Lord Mayor Tomás MacCurtain's favourite to play on the violin, and it is possible that his friend, Diarmaid Fawsitt, saw him play it at some stage at their joint Gaelic League events back in the 1910s.
New Online Digital Collections
The CCCA is pleased to announce new additions to our online digital collections:
- A range of records relating to the Revolutionary Period 1912-1923
- Records relating to General Michael Collins, who was killed at Beál na Bláth in Cork, 100 years ago.
- Councillor Liam de Roiste T.D's diaries from 1914 to Feb 1923
- Rathcooney cemetery burial register 1941-1961
- Curraghkippane cemetery burial register 1896-1962
- Bantry Abbey, register of gravestone inscriptions 1700s- c1958
- St.Finbarr's Cemetery, Cork cemetery burial register 1867-1930 (3 volumes)
To view see our Online Digital Collections.