Cork: Merchant City

Cork: Merchant City

Provisions Trade

The Exchange at Cork, 1815.

This Exchange was built in 1708/9 to replace an earlier building at the junction of Castle Street/South Main Street. The building was at the heart of commercial activity in Cork. It contained civic offices and was used for meetings and entertainments by the corporation. It also was where merchants gathered to agree contracts: placing money on a circular metal plate (known as the ‘nail’) on a table. The building was demolished in 1837. (CCCA)

The Exchange at Cork 1815

Previous image      Next image