Taken from a lease, the map shows property in the Blackrock area with most of the land owned by William Crawford, a prominent brewer. Ringmahon House was associated with another important brewing family: the Murphys. James Murphy (1769-1855) lived at Ringmahon from 1818. Over several generations, the Murphys established themselves as one of the most successful of the ‘merchant princes’ of Cork. Members of the family were involved in tanning and general trading, as well as establishing a distillery in 1825 and a brewery in 1856. They were involved in local affairs and contributed to many charitable and religious organisations.