The exhibition was held on the site of the Corn Exchange in Anglesea Street, Cork (beside the present City Hall). This rare photograph may depict the official opening on 3 July by the Earl of Bandon. The presence of the silver maces (below the podium) suggest that the mayor of Cork also was present. This event, with its band and impressive organ, clearly attracted members of the leading merchant and professional families in Cork.
The 1883 event was one of three major industrial exhibitions held in Cork in this period: the first being in 1852 at the Corn Exchange site and the last in 1902-1903, centred on what is now Fitzgerald Park in the western suburbs of the city.