The Grand Juries were set up across the country from ca. the 17th century, and were an early form of local government. The members were appointed by the County Sheriff, usually from the ranks of major land owners. The Jury was initially concerned with the administration of Justice, but later took on responsibility for building and maintaining roads, bridges, infirmaries, asylums, work houses, courthouses and goals. The Grand Jury was empowered to levy a local County Cess (tax or rate) and met at Spring and Summer assizes where presentments (works) were passed. The Grand Jury was superseded by the County Council in 1898, but retained its judicial function until it was abolished in 1924.
The County of Cork Grand Jury archives consist of the following
Title: Printed lists of Presentments for Cork County Grand Jury.
Date: 1834 - 1898
Extent: 11 boxes
Level of Description: Fonds
Related items: Drawings from the County Surveyor's office.
Access: By appointment in our reading room.