Seamus Murphy Building
- In June 2006, the Archives opened a new purpose built building which was funded as part of the Cork City Council 2005 Capital Programme.
- The new building is situated in the historic Blackpool village area in the North side of Cork city, less than one mile on foot from the city centre.
- It is the first stand alone purpose built archives building in Ireland.
- The building meets the most modern standards for the storage and use of archives and was designed in conjunction with Stephen Sullivan of the Cork City Architect's Department.
- In September 2007, the new building was named the Seamus Murphy Building (Áras Shéamuis Ó Mhurchú) by Cork City Council, in memory of the centenary of the birth of the Cork sculptor Seamus Murphy R.H.A. (1907-1975), who worked in Blackpool for most of his life.
- Guided tours of the building are available by appointment.
Features of the new building include:
- Climate-controlled strongrooms
- Exhibition/Lecture Space
- Research Room for up to 12 researchers
- Facilities for the reception, processing and digitisation of archives
Photographs of Building:
Front Exterior, Great William O'Brien Street
Reading / Research Room
Corridor, 1st. floor
Collection Processing Room